Coolcappa Kilcolman

Parish Website


Congratulations on your decision to get married. It’s an exciting time with lots of wedding planning ahead!

While you need only give three months’ notice of your intention to marry it is common practice for a couple to book the church a long time in advance. So, it is important to contact the Parish Priest/Parish Office to make sure that the church is available on the day you require. You will also need to look at participating in a marriage preparation course which is a lovely way for you as a couple to look at your own relationship. The Civil Authorities also have state requirements which must be fulfilled.

The following information may be helpful 

·          Make contact with your priest that you would like to officiate at your marriage.  Check the availability of your chosen date with your priest and the church.

·         You must give the state notice of your intention to marry. Contact the Civil Registration Office in Newcastle West (069-66661) and arrange to meet them. They will tell you what ID and other documents you will need for this meeting. You must give MORE than three months’ notice to the civil Registration Office. It is best to contact the Registration Office well in advance of your Marriage. 

·          It is recommended that all couples who are getting married should attend a Pre-Marriage Course. You can get an application form online by pressing on the link at the bottom of this page.    It is best to attend the course well before the date of the Marriage. 

·         The priest will begin the process of filling out Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Forms and Letter of Freedom. 

·          Mixed Marriages: Special permissions are required for full church recognition of marriages between a Roman Catholic and a baptised non-RC or someone unbaptised. Applications are handled by the Priest and the Diocesan Office. 

·          The marriage ceremony normally takes place in a church in the bride’s parish. A couple are also free to marry in a church of their choosing, We suggest you consult your priest.   

·          It is now a legal requirement for the Solemniser  (the priest who officiates at the marriage) to be on the List of Solemnisers submitted by each Diocese to the Registrar-General.  

·          Ask the priest who is to officiate at your marriage to help you with the task of creating your ceremony. There are a variety of prayers, blessings, readings, music etc.  Go through these together and choose the ones you prefer. Choose the person(s) who will read at Mass, person(s) to read the Prayers of the  Faithful and the people to bring up the gifts at the Offertory. Rehearse the ceremony in church with the priest before the wedding day.

      Guidelines concerning Music, Flowers,  Photography and Sacristans can be discussed with the Priest in organizing the ceremony.


ACCORD, Newcastle West, offers a safe, professional and confidential counselling service for individuals and couples who are experiencing difficulties in their marriages and relationships. Appointments can be arranged for daytime or evening to suit client needs.

We also deliver Marriage Preparation Courses for couples choosing to get married in the Catholic Church.    

If you would like to enquire about any of our services, please ring us on 069 61000, email us at or to book Marriage Preparation Courses log on to the ACCORD website at   

If you have any further queries regarding your Church Ceremony, please contact the St Senan's Office in Foynes 069-65561.